Game Programming & Design
Associate in Science (A.S.)
Game programming is one of the fastest growing industries in the computer programming and technology sector. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment of computer programmers is expected to grow 8 percent from 2012 to 2022.
While enrolled in the A.S. Game Programming and Design degree program, you will learn how to use the most recent technologies and tools for Web application development. You will gain a high degree of hands-on experience with the design and development of game application software. In addition, you will learn the theory and fundamentals of game programming and design such as:
- Developing and applying an algorithmic approach to problem solving.
- Using structured programming techniques.
- Designing and building databases.
The capstone project for this program is the design and development of an actual game software application. Throughout this program, you will collect samples of your work and create a professional portfolio. Your portfolio will later be used when you begin your job search in the game industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Collaborate with other students on large projects, working with multiple disciplines to develop games from design through production to release.
- Use problem solving and logic to create and implement algorithms and assets according to given limitations and requirements.
- Develop a detailed schedule of tasks, key design documents and benchmarks with a constant reflection and review of tools and best practices.
- Develop and publish a professional portfolio on the World Wide Web.
FLCC's online learning offers you a flexible and convenient way to reach your educational goals. With this option, you can pursue your A.S. in Game Programming and Design at least 50 percent online. Learn more about FLCC online learning.
Graduates of this degree program can expect to find careers in the fields of:
- Game Design
- Game Programming
- Game Management
Scholarships are available to qualified students. For information on scholarships, contact the FLCC Foundation..
The faculty in the Computing Sciences Department brings a wide range of talent along with extensive experience to FLCC. Each faculty member specializes in a particular area of the discipline, and continually strives to stay current in that area. FLCC is committed to providing you with the most up-to-date programs and courses. Furthermore, it strives to provide you with an excellent education.