Transferring Credits to FLCC

If you are applying or re-enrolling at FLCC and would like to transfer previously earned college credit, please review the information below.

For Credits Earned at Accredited Colleges and Universities

If you are a newly entering student or a returning student and have acquired college credit from other institution(s), you must submit official college transcript(s) to the Admissions Office at the time you apply or re-activate your enrollment at FLCC. A transfer credit evaluation will be completed by the Student Records Office once all official transcripts have been received in Admissions.

Upon admittance to FLCC, you will receive a transfer credit evaluation indicating the transfer credits awarded toward the chosen degree program.

What type of previous college credit will transfer?

Transfer credit is awarded from colleges and universities that are recognized by an appropriate accrediting agency, such as Middle States Commission on Higher Education, The American Council on Education (ACE), NYS Board of Regents, etc.  College-level work completed at an accredited, degree-granting institution will be evaluated for applicable credit. Evaluation of credit appropriate for transfer is done on an individual basis. Grades of "C-" and higher are considered for transfer if the coursework meets degree requirements.

Grades for courses completed at other colleges and universities will not be used in computing your cumulative grade point average at FLCC.

What if I have questions about my transfer credit evaluation?

Contact the FLCC Student Records Office at (585)785-1675.

For Credits Earned at Non-Accredited Colleges and Universities or Other Institutions

Credits may be accepted for transfer credit from non-accredited colleges and universities; evaluation for transfer credit will be made on a course-by-course basis.

Training that has been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) may be transferred as college credit based on ACE recommendations.

Individual who have served in the military should submit an AARTS, SMART, or CLAF transcript to the Admissions Office; DD214 forms will be evaluated for Health/Physical Education credit.

For Credits Earned by Examination

Students may transfer college credits to FLCC that were earned through College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Subject or General Exams, Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), Excelsior College Exams (formerly Regents College Examinations), Departmental Challenge Examinations, and high school Advance Placement (AP). A maximum of 32 credit hours may be granted to a matriculated student through any combination of the above.

How can I apply my examination credit to my FLCC transcript?

If you have earned college credit through one of the examination methods above (except departmental exams), you must submit an official examination grade report to the Student Records Office for evaluation. If you have questions about the applicability of credit for a specific exam to a degree program, contact the Student Records Office.

Examination credit (except for Departmental Challenge Exams) is not included in the minimum of 32 credits that must be completed to earn an FLCC degree and is not used in calculating a student's grade point average.

FLCC utilizes the ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations for minimum score, number, and type of credits awarded, for these examination programs:

Departmental Challenge exams may be offered for college credit at the discretion of the individual department for any course that is not represented in the other approved examination programs. The exact nature of the examination is the responsibility of the academic department. If you are interested in taking a departmental examination, consult with the respective department chairperson.

Earning Credit for Life Experience through Portfolio Assessment

Finger Lakes Community College acknowledges that learning does take place beyond the classroom and in other venues. Credit for life experience can be defined as the awarding of credit for learning that is acquired outside of the classroom/college environment.

Therefore, students are invited to demonstrate that the course requirements, as outlined in the syllabus, have been fulfilled through their life experience. Students will provide substantive evidence that course learning outcomes have been achieved by completing a portfolio. Students must be matriculated, in good academic standing, have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0; and must have accumulated 12 college credit hours before receiving credit for life experience. In addition, students will be required to pay tuition of 50 percent of the in-state tuition rate per credit hour. See the Registrar's Office for a list of courses approved for portfolio assessment.

College Courses Taken While in High School

FLCC's High School and Homeschool Programs

Many high school students enroll in college courses while in high school. FLCC has several program options for high school and homeschool students who are looking to get a head start on college.

If you've completed FLCC courses through these programs, you do not need to request a transcript. Your grades are already here.

High School and Homeschool Programs at Other Colleges

For students who have completed college courses through a different college or university, you’ll need to request an official transcript from the registrar at that institution.

Contact Us

Admissions Office
3325 Marvin Sands Drive
Canandaigua, NY 14424-8395
One Stop Phone: (585)785-1000
Fax: (585)785-1734
Mon-Thu: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Fri: 8:30am - 4:00pm